Skip Navigation Website Accessibility

Frequently Asked Questions

Following are various questions which have been submitted to the Brigham City Police Department. If you have other questions that are not addressed here, please feel free to call us at (435) 734-6650. Thank you for visiting.

Q: Does the Police Department do fingerprinting?

A:  Yes. Fingerprinting is done every Wednesday from 1:00-4:30 p.m. Picture ID is required.  Appointments are not necessary. The cost for a full set of fingerprints is $5.00 per fingerprint card for Brigham City residents and $10.00 per fingerprint card for non-residents. There is no cost if an individual only needs four fingers done. [NOTE: The Box Elder County Sheriff's Department also does fingerprinting. They are located at 52 South 1000 West, Brigham City, Utah. Please call (435) 734-3822 for hours.]

Q: I was involved in an accident. Can I get a copy of my police report?

A:  Yes. Generally, an insurance company will request a copy of the report. However, you can get a copy of your police report at the business office. The cost is $10.00 per report. For more information, please click here.

Q: Does the Police Department do background checks?

A:  The only background checks done by the BCPD are for Brigham City employment applicants. Local checks can also be done for the military and for individuals going on an LDS Mission. Individuals can request a background check through the Utah Bureau of Criminal Investigation, 3888 West 5400 South, Salt Lake City. Their telephone number is (801) 965-4445. For more information, please click here.

Q: How do I license my bicycle?

A:  Bicycle licenses are available through the BCPD. The cost is $1.00 per bicycle. Individuals will be asked to fill out a short form which asks for name, address, phone number, date, make, serial number, color, equipment, and a description of the fenders. They will be then be given a sticker which needs to be affixed to the bicycle, identifying it as being licensed with the BCPD.

Q: How many police officers are there on the Brigham City Police force?

A:  There are currently 28 sworn peace officers working for the BCPD. Seventeen (17) of those officers work on the road as patrol officers.

Q: How old do you have to be to be able to ride a motorcycle around town?

A:  In Brigham City, you have to be in accordance with the state law, which requires you to have obtained at least a temporary driving permit and a motorcycle endorsement for that permit. This can be obtained when you turn 16 years old. The state also requires those who are under the age of 18 to wear a helmet while driving a motorcycle.

Q: Is it illegal to drive a motorized scooter on the streets or sidewalks within the city limits of Brigham? Is an electric scooter legal since it isn't really the same as a gas powered one?

A:  Over the past year there have been many questions to the legalities of driving motorized scooters on public streets and/or sidewalks. A motorized scooter is simply a motorized skate board. The Attorney General's Office, State Tax Commission, Salt Lake City Police Department, City Attorney and Prosecutor's office have all come to the agreement that the motorized scooter should be classified as a motorized vehicle and therefore could not be driven on city streets or sidewalks unless it had the proper safety equipment (lights, mirrors, etc.). Brigham City's approach to the motorized scooter is the same and therefore they should not be driven on any Brigham Streets or sidewalks.


Q: My job requires that I have a beer handler's permit. How do I get one?

A:  The BCPD no longer tests for beer licenses. Testing is now done through the Bear River Health Department, 817 West 950 South, Brigham City. The cost is $10.00. Testing will be conducted on the first Tuesday of every month from 3:30 - 5:00 p.m. For more details, call Jescee Bennett at (435) 734-0845.


Q: Why do I have to license my dog?

A:  Brigham City Ordinance requires that dogs, over the age of 6 months be licensed and vaccinated against rabies. The rabies requirement is also a State law. The purpose of licensing is to help track and ensure that dogs are currently vaccinated and assist in finding an owner if a dog becomes lost. If a dog has a current license, and an owner is at home, the dog can be returned home, saving the owner the cost of impound and boarding fees. Also, if a dog is injured, and is wearing a current license, an Animal Control Officer can take that dog directly to a veterinarian for treatment, which may save the dog's life.

Dog licenses are to be renewed each year on January 1st but can be purchased starting December 1st. After March 1st, there is a $10.00 late charge added to the cost of the license. The cost of the license is $10.00 for a spayed/neutered animal or $17.00 for an animal which has not been spayed or neutered. All dogs must have a current rabies vaccination. (Brigham City is on a three year program; the pet must be vaccinated every third year.) Licenses can be purchased at the City office. For more information, please click here.


Q: Some of my items were put into evidence for safekeep. How do I get my items back?

A:  The Detective Sergeant and Detective Corporal are the only officers authorized to release evidence. Because they are sometimes out of the office on case follow-up, the best thing to do is call ahead of time or better yet, schedule an appointment for picking up your items. The main number to the business office is (435) 734-6650.

Q: Does Brigham City have a curfew?

A:  Yes. Curfew is 10:00 p.m. for children up to age 13. For juveniles age 14-17, curfew is 12:00 a.m. (midnight).