Skip Navigation Website Accessibility

Brigham City Animal Control

It is the goal of Brigham City's Animal Control to provide service to the citizens and animals of Brigham City through the professional operation of the Animal Shelter and through animal care and control programs. These services include, but are not limited to:

  • Adoption
  • Redemption
  • Lost and found services
  • Providing of resource information
  • Public education
  • Taking and processing requests for service
  • Euthanasia of animals (when necessary)

Where are We?

The Brigham City / Box Elder County Animal Shelter is located at 1220 West Forest, Brigham City, Utah.

Hours of Operation:

1220 West Forest
Brigham City, UT  84302
(435) 723-1231

Tuesday-Friday:  10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Saturday:  9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Closed Mondays, Sundays and Holidays

Animal Control Officer Tarver can be reached from 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. by calling the Public Safety Communications Center (Dispatch) at (435) 723-5227.

The Shelter Technician can be reached by calling the Shelter during normal hours of operation listed above.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why do I have to license my dog?

Brigham City Ordinance requires that dogs, over the age of 6 months be licensed and vaccinated against rabies. The rabies requirement is also a State law. The purpose of licensing is to help track and ensure that dogs are currently vaccinated and assist in finding an owner if a dog becomes lost. If a dog has a current license, and an owner is at home, the dog can be returned home, saving the owner the cost of impound and boarding fees. Also, if a dog is injured, and is wearing a current license, an Animal Control Officer can take that dog directly to a veterinarian for treatment, which may save the dog's life.

The Brigham City Council approved changes to the dog licensing resolution.  The expiration date of all dog licenses is May 31st each year.  Renewal notices will be sent out approximately the first week of March and licenses need to be renewed on or before June 1st.

Three-year licenses will be available for purchase on the same year as your rabies vaccination date, so that the license expiration date coincides with the rabies expiration.

Listed below are the updated pricing changes:

One-year licenses:
     Neutered male or spayed female:  $10.00
     Unaltered dog:  $20.00

Three-year licenses:
     Neutered male or spayed female:  $25.00
     Unaltered dog:  $55.00

Late fee:  $10.00

All dogs must have a current rabies vaccination. Brigham City is on a three-year program (i.e., the pet must be vaccinated every third year).  Brigham City conducts a rabies clinic in May of each year.  

What offenses can I be cited for?

A citation can be issued for violation of any of the following Brigham City Animal Control Ordinances:

  • 4.04.050 - Animals running at large
  • 4.04-010 - Animals attacking persons or other animals
  • 4.07.010 - Unclean or unwholesome premises prohibited (cruelty to animals)
  • 4.04.040 - Disruptive dogs (barking)
  • 4.04.060 - Domestic fowl running at large
  • 4.03.050 - Excessive dogs or cats on property
  • 4.04.030 - Failure to properly confine female dog in heat
  • 4.06.010 - Failure to vaccinate
  • 4.03.010 - Failure to license
  • 4.07.050 - Harboring of stray animals prohibited, duty to notify
  • 4.02.040 - Interference with Animal Control Officer
  • 4.04.080 - Keeping of wild or animal not defined as pet
  • 4.04.020 - Nuisance animal
  • 4.03.030 - Proper license tag not attached
  • 4.04.080 - Staking animals improperly on unenclosed premises
  • 4.03.040 - Unlawful removal of license tag

How many animals can I have at my house?

Brigham City zoning allows up to two cats and two dogs at each residence. 

What happens if my animal bites or I am bitten?

It is imperative that all bites be reported to local Animal Control Officers. Any animal that bites must be quarantined for observation for a period of not less than twelve (12) days by Animal Control. The owner shall bear the cost of the confinement. The Animal Shelter shall be the normal place for such quarantine, but other arrangements, including confinement by the owner may be made with the Animal Control Officers, provided the animal has current rabies vaccinations at the time the bite is inflicted.

I found a stray dog/cat. Can I keep it?

If an animal is found and the owner cannot be located, the animal should be surrendered to Animal Control. Often owners don't call and ask about their lost pets, they just come to look through the Shelter. If the animal is not on public display, the owner may never know his/her pet has been found. It is unlawful to harbor or keep any lost/stray animal. The animal needs to be allowed to complete it's "stray time" at the Shelter, and then if the finder wants the animal, they can "legally" adopt it.

I found a dead bird/animal in my yard. What should I do?

Dead birds may be a sign that West Nile Virus is circulating between birds and the mosquitos in an area. If you find a dead or sick bird that might be infected with the WNV, do not handle it. Contact either Animal Control, the Bear River Health Department, or the Division of Wildlife Resources. The DWR is currently testing only birds of the corvid family (ravens, crows, jays and magpies) and raptors (hawks, eagles, falcons and owls) for West Nile Virus.

Fee Schedule

A copy of the current fee schedule is available at the shelter or at the Brigham City Police Department. It is also available by clicking here.


Levi Tarver
Animal Control Officer

Brigham City/Box Elder County
Animal Shelter

Mylea Hunt
Shelter Technician